We need your help looking for presence/absence surveys of Oahu’s trails for Devil Weed (Chromolaena odorata). OISC simply doesn’t have the resources to survey all Oahu hiking trails for this invasive plant…so we are asking you to look for it on your next hike. Join the effort along with partners like Conservation Dogs of Hawaii and the North Shore Community Land Trust are dedicated to surveying and removing devil weed where they find it.
HOW TO SURVEY TRAIL & SHARE YOUR DATA
1) Just watch this video to help you learn how to ID the plant.
- Monthly zoom meetings are held for background, updates and Q&A. (see below)
- Request a free devil weed field guide.
2) Download the free ‘AllTrails’ app for your phone.
3) Pick a trail from the list below.
- Don’t see your hike on the list?…no matter. Record and share any survey you conduct!
4) Record & share your survey data with OISC.
- Click here for the simple “How To Collect & Share Data with AllTrails“.
LIST OF OAHU TRAILS AND LATEST SURVEY INFORMATION
*This list is updated with data shared by volunteers each week. Simply click on the trail name for a link to trail map, status and information page.
WANT MORE INFO ABOUT JOINING THE CREW?
Every third Wednesday of the month at 6pm we’ll have live meetings about participating. The meetings will give you background on Devil Weed in Hawaii and details about the Devil Weed Crew….and opportunity to ask questions.
Register in advance for the next meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. Questions?….reach out to us anytime via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the DEVIL WEED CREW FACEBOOK GROUP Keep up-to-date on detections and surveys. The group has loads of pictures and videos to help keep your search image fresh while you hike.
Get a FREE DEVIL WEED CREW FIELD GUIDE. It includes look a likes photos and laminated devil weed leaves on a carabiner to conveniently keep clipped to your belt loop while you survey. REQUEST MY OWN GUIDE