PLANT ID ACTIVITY: 30-45 minute activity, Grades 5-8, Groups of 2-3 students
This activity introduces the basics of plant identification. Using scientific observation, students learn botanical terms and develop their observational skills. Students will become familiar with the process of keying out leaf characteristics to narrow plants down to families, then finer details help determine plant species. Student will research their plant and conclude whether it is native, non-native, or invasive.
- Detailed observations (text and illustration) of plants
- Learn plant parts and basic botanical terms.
- Leaf characteristics can determine family.
- Difference between native, non-native, and invasive plants.
- Learn how to use Hawaii-Pacific Weed Risk Assessment.
- Plant ID Activity (Overview & Instructions)
- Facilitator Answer Key for Activity
- Student Activity Sheet
- Leaf Characteristics Key
- Family ID Key
- Plant ID Key
- Printable Numbers for Plant Specimens